A Multi-Sensory Approach for Private or Group Instruction
Hands-On-Rhythms is a wonderfully fun approach to learning rhythms for elementary students! In each of the 24 lessons of this reproducible book, students are presented with a rhythm pattern and given opportunity to experience it with multiple senses. Students will move, touch, hear, sing, and see rhythms in their lesson using a variety of inexpensive props and reproducibles, then write and draw patterns in a corresponding student workbook. New in the 2nd Edition, they are able to apply their knowledge through creative improvising, composing and ensemble challenges at the end of each lesson. With an emphasis on feeling and hearing before seeing, this student-friendly approach is sure to build rhythmic success and bring lots of energy to your classroom!
Rhythm objectives covered include:
- Internalizing a steady pulse
- Quarter, half, dotted half and whole note values
- Quarter, half and whole rest values
- Internalizing long durations
- Counting by measures in 3/4 and 4/4 meters
- Upbeats and Downbeats
- Simple syncopation
- Basic Eighth Note Patterns (NEW in the 2nd edition)
Each Lesson Includes:
- An activity to FEEL rhythms through whole-body movements and tactile manipulatives
- A chant, rhyme, silly song or folk song used to HEAR and SING rhythms
- An activity using visual manipulatives to SEE rhythm patterns
- An opportunity to WRITE or DRAW rhythms in a student workbook
- A creative challenge to PLAY the rhythm at the piano
- Extra activities to reinforce the rhythm concept in subsequent lessons
The Hands On Rhythms eBook bundle includes a detailed teacher’s guide with instructions for each lesson, a large appendix of printable visual aids and manipulatives and a fully reproducible student workbook.
(Note: These products are available in an instant download format. Please see the terms and conditions page for purchase details and licensing information. For details on how I use these materials in lessons, check out this article on Student Activity Binders.)
Hands on Rhythms 2nd Edition – Bundle
Hands on Rhythms British Edition – Bundle
This edition uses British English note value terms (crotchet, minim, etc.)
Want to see what you’re getting? Preview the Teacher’s Guide below.