Do your students enjoy playing online theory games?? If so, you’ll want to check out this exciting new resource:
Tonic Tutor is an online theory resource full of games to help students drill interval recognition, melody playback, scales, chords, note reading and more. I have to admit, I hadn’t run across this fun new site until co-creator Christine Donkin contacted me last week, but I’m very much looking forward to exploring it in detail and trying these out with my students! (The site is running a promotion during the month of September that was too good not to pass on a.s.a.p…. see below for details!).
Here’s a quick overview:
- The site is comprised of 36 customizable theory games, most of which include 4 levels of difficulty.
- Teachers can set up accounts for each of their students, then send assignments, track student progress, and even create contests, send virtual reward stickers and print student report cards.
- The site offers a free 10-student account, and monthly subscription plans for teachers with larger studios.
Here’s what I loved about this site at first glance:
- The games are easy to understand and very student-friendly (even for young students).
- There’s a great variety of levels, appropriate for young beginners through intermediate students.
- The creative graphics and game challenges give students a concrete, visual representation of theory concepts.
- Bonus seasonal games are included throughout the year – students can play themed games at Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter and in the summer.
- Many of the graphics and games are just plain fun!!! (There’s a dancing jellybean rhythm drill that you just have to check out!!).
And here’s the great promo I mentioned above:
During the month of September, all teachers who sign up for a free Tonic-10 account (that would normally give you access to 10 customizable games and 10 student accounts), can access the entire site free of change! At the end of the month, you can decide if you’d like to upgrade your plan and keep all of the games, or stick with the free 10-game account. Be sure to head over to Tonic Tutor and check it out before the end of the month!!